Sunday 5 July 2009

Day 33 Arrival in Gibraltar Winds F2-4W 105nm (part day)

Dawn, Orange light is breaking over the windmill dotted hills of Tarifa Point the southernmost tip of Spain 8 miles ahead. The lights of Africa, or more precisely Tangier are still visible but getting dimmer to starboard. It’s hard to distinguish the straights themselves yet as from this angle there is only a very small gap visible between Europe and Africa. I love times like this, I woke up early (not that with one thing and another I’d had much sleep) and relieved Louise. Now I get to enjoy this last dawn of the voyage on my own.

The night before last I spent 5 hours threading us through the freighters in the traffic separation scheme and since then except for fishing vessels all the traffic has been safely off to our right. To our complete amazement our fishy friends caught us up sometime yesterday (Honestly it was the same group, one has a distinctive white spot on his back) but they’ve gone now.

I read the crews blog yesterday: I know Jim has enjoyed aspects of the journey but it hasn’t been easy as he likes to be captain of his own ship. After a career as a freelancer he is not only used to being his own boss but probably has never been anything else. Justin and Louise on the other hand have clearly enjoyed the whole adventure and made good friends of one another – I understand they are now going on their travels together at least for a couple of weeks following Justin’s amazingly well researched and meticulous plan and I think they will carry good memories of this time for the rest of their lives.

We’ve just hit the current in the straights, it has got very choppy and we are doing 10 knots helped by a 2.5 knot current. Jim and Justin just got up complaining someone was having a party in the basement.




















We’re through the straights like a rocket and playing dodge the ferry as we come into Gibraltar Harbour. A few minutes later with fenders and lines attached we dock at Queensway Marina tie up and suddenly realise - that’s it, we’ve done it – we succeeded. We completed the equivalent of an eight hour flight in 33days. The things some people will do to avoid airports!



















Jim found that he had to leave by 1:30pm to get his bus to Malaga so after getting the marina staff to take a picture of us together Jim got into a cab and with final goodbyes left us. Justin and Louise have gone up in the cable car to see the apes and the caves. We plan to go out for dinner tonight and they will leave in the morning.

I want to thank my fantastic crew Justin, Jim and Louise for their help, good humour and company. I’d happily travel with any of them again.

My personal journey has been different from the others and although arriving always leaves one a little flat I have enjoyed the voyage immensely. I must admit though I am pleased to have a short break from the responsibility for the lives and wellbeing of others.

I have also learned to write on this journey – not necessarily in terms of quality but certainly in terms of discipline and continuity. Thanks so much to those who wrote to me or the crew saying they liked and looked forward to their daily dose of life aboard.

For me it is time for a short nap then lots and lots of cleaning and polishing ready for my family on Tuesday.

Oh, and would I do this again? Well I have got some pretty huge commitments to live up to at home before I can even think about it – quite a challenge but then what’s life about if it isn’t facing challenges and if you can safely skipper a small boat with an unknown crew across the Atlantic then – well what can’t you do?

Anyone like to come?

Love to all for the last time

Captain Chris Horseman
Hakuna Matata moored Queensway Marina Gibraltar.

No comments:

Post a Comment